Moving to Italy as an EU student: Your essential guide to bureaucratic steps

By mina
30 May 2024
Reading Time: 3 minutes
photo of moving to Italy as an EU student

If you’re are planning on moving to Italy as an EU student, congratulations on your exciting journey! 

Italy is renowned for its rich culture, historic sites, and world-class education. Moving to Italy as an EU student is generally simpler than for those from non-EU countries, though it still involves several necessary steps for a smooth transition. This guide will help you understand what you need to do and by when to ensure a smooth transition.

Photo of Moving to Italy as an EU student : Florence

1. Registering your residence : Iscrizione Anagrafica

If you are moving to Italy as an EU student, you have the right to live in Italy, but you must register your residence if you plan to stay for more than 90 days. Here’s what you need to know:

  • When to Register: Within 90 days of arrival.
  • Where to Register: At the local Anagrafe office in the Comune (Municipal registry office) where you’ll be living.
  • Documents Needed:
    1. Valid passport or national ID card.
    2. Proof of accommodation (rental contract, property deed, or declaration of hospitality).
    3. Health insurance or proof of registration with the Italian National Health Service (Servizio Sanitario Nazionale, SSN).

2. Getting your tax code: Codice Fiscale

The Codice Fiscale is a personal identification number necessary for many activities in Italy, from opening a bank account to signing a lease. Check our dedicated article to find out more about Codice Fiscale.

  • When to Obtain: As soon as possible after arriving.
  • Where to Obtain: At any Agenzia delle Entrate (Revenue Agency) office.
  • Documents Needed:
    1. Valid passport or national ID card.
    2. Completed application form (available at the Agenzia delle Entrate).

Typically, the Codice Fiscale can be issued immediately during your visit to the office. This includes your tax code and your personal details.

EU citizens can also apply for a Codice Fiscale through Italian consulates or embassies in their home country before arriving in Italy. This option can be convenient to sort out before departure.

3. Health insurance registration

Initially, you can use your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) for healthcare services. However, for long-term stays, registering with the Italian National Health Service is advisable.

  • When to Register: Upon obtaining residency or if staying for more than 3 months.
  • Where to Register: At the local Azienda Sanitaria Locale (ASL) office.
  • Documents Needed:
    1. Codice Fiscale.
    2. Residence certificate.
    3. Proof of student status, if applicable.

4. Opening a bank account

Having an Italian bank account can simplify financial transactions during your stay. 

Documents Needed:

  1. Valid passport or national ID card.
  2. Codice Fiscale.
  3. Proof of address (residence certificate or rental contract).

Additional Notes: Some banks may require an initial deposit or proof of enrollment at an Italian school and might have a monthly fee. To bypass this we recommend online banking such as Wise. We have a dedicated article for all the details about how to deal with this, you can check it here.

5. Registering your vehicle (if applicable)

If you’re bringing your car, you’ll need to register it in Italy.

  • When to Register: Within 60 days of bringing your vehicle into Italy.
  • Where to Register: At the local Motorizzazione Civile office, which is the Italian government office that is part of the Ministry of Infrastructure and Transport.
  • Documents Needed:
    1. Original vehicle registration document.
    2. Proof of residence.
    3. Codice Fiscale.
    4. Proof of insurance.
    5. Payment of registration fees and taxes

Note: The cost of registering a vehicle and paying the associated taxes from another EU country can vary significantly based on several factors including the car’s emission levels, engine size, and specific regulations.

Image of students for Moving to Italy as an EU student

Moving to Italy as an EU student: Timeline overview

  • Immediately upon arrival:
    • Apply for your Codice Fiscale.
  • Within the first month:
    • Register your residence.
    • Register with the National Health Service.
  • Within 60 days:
    • Register your vehicle (if applicable).

By following these steps, you’ll be well on your way to settling into your new life in Italy. Enjoy your studies and the wonderful experiences that come with living in this beautiful country!

If you are planning to start your learning journey in Italian in Italy, feel free to contact us. At Go! Go! Italia, we are dedicated to helping you find the right school to study Italian in Italy.

Stay updated with the latest tips, news, and opportunities for studying in Italy by following us on our social media!

Share this article

Go! Go! Italia

Search articles

Popular posts

Go! Go! Italia

Ready to live and Study in Italy?

Go! Go! Italia Blog

Related articles

Contact us

Any questions? We are here to help